11.03.2013 Gallery Wall

This post is one I've been excited for because... it took me awhile to figure out exactly how to perfect my gallery wall in my apartment. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy and took me forever. I put together what I thought was a decent gallery wall, and after looking at it everyday.. I was not impressed.

My perfectionist tendencies had gotten the best of me, yet again, and my first attempt was 1000% symmetrical. What fun is that? Totally not the look I was going for at all. I had over the past few weeks gathered quite a collection of frames though, and as I started rearranging my apartment recently, I played with the placements of my other various wall hangings. I took some down, put some in my closet for hiding, and even retired some old pieces.

Last weekend, I was able to step back and take a breath. I had turned this:


Into this!

Such a difference and I couldn't be more excited about how it turned out. I even have room above and below it to add more pieces to as time goes on.

I picked up some different frames from Ikea and Target. I made the initial and burlap frame myself. I hand painted the canvas. I added some photos of the important people in my life to some of the smaller frames including my family at Thanksgiving, my friends, and my two amazing sisters and I at Christmas last year. And I found and created the monogram print from a website online! VoilĂ !

One helpful tip! Take out the paper that comes inside the frame to help you map out your wall. Lay them out on a large flat service first and rearrange it as many times as you need until you like the placement OR tape the pieces of paper to the wall your turning into your masterpiece to help you visualize it!


Do any of you have a gallery wall in your house/apartment/loft/flat/or whatever else you live in? What is your favorite piece in it?