4.22.2014 0 Notes Meal Prep


I figured it was probably time for a progress update and a look into how I prep and keep myself on track during the week.




Typically, I spend my Sundays grocery shopping, prepping food, and cleaning. Boring? Ehhh not so much. I get A LOT done on Sundays and prepping helps me keep myself accountable because if my food is already made, why the heck would I cheat? I literally can grab and go, go, go!

Since my work and school sched is off the chain crazzzzy, having prepped before hand makes life EASY PEEZY. If I don't prep, it sucks, because then I'm more likely to cheat, and that sucks. No one likes a cheater. :)





My Sunday errands include stops at Trader Joe'sTarget, and sometimes Ralphs.

Here's a peak at my shopping list:
  • 2 Packs of Ground Turkey (extra lean)
  • 2 Packs of Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • Fresh Broccoli and/or the Green Giant Steam Fresh bags of broccoli pre-cut
  • 1 Bunch of Asparagus
  • 1 Package of fresh Garlic
  • Fresh Cauliflower (1 bunch? I'm not really sure what it's referred to as LOL)
  • 30 Pack of Eggs (I know this sounds like A LOT but it's actually worth it. I hard boil a bunch because I eat 3 hard boiled egg whites at a time for a meal and then some of the eggs I leave untouched so I can scramble the egg whites with spinach for breakfast!)
    • Side note... Trader Joe's sells bags of hard boiled eggs that are relatively inexpensive and great for a snack because they are already ready to go. In case you want something easier, try this out! Also an awesome way to take a snack to store in your break room at work :) My local store has them with the milk and eggs and they come in a yellow bag!
  • Ruby Red Grapefruits
  • Bananas
  • Strawberries
  • Raspberries
  • Blueberries
  • Gallon Water Jugs (perfect for grab and go)
    • You can pick these up at Target for $0.92 
  • Protein Powder (generally buy this once every 2 months or so.... It lasts me awhile!)
  • Oatmeal
    • So I'm totally not a fan of plain oats... so I buy the Quaker Maple & Brown Sugar pre-packaged ones for easy grab and go! I generally will throw it into a tupperware and take it to work. Once I get there, our office water cooler has a hot water spout so I pour and let it steep! 
    • Another alternative: Starbucks Original Oatmeal with 1/2 of each packet of fixings (obvi this can add up fast so be careful!)
Let me tell you about this new little friend of mine, Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute. This little gem is what I use to season my chicken and ground turkey for the week! It's a mixture, obvi, of 21 seasonings and spices and is awesome and SUPER inexpensive.

Now for the fun part: PREP!

GROUND TURKEY:
It probably takes me 15 minutes to make a solid batch of ground turkey that lasts me the week. I don't eat it for every meal every day, I swap out each meal with chicken, lean fish, etc.

I generally get a pack of about 20oz of Extra Lean Ground Turkey. Throw it in the skillet and toss on the Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute and toss and chop it up until it looks done! Easyyyy.


ASPARAGUS:
Let me just start by saying I am SOOOO not a vegetable person. But I've been trying to become more acclimated to having more green in my everyday diet. Ever heard that saying "Eat the Rainbow" or whatever? Yeah, I'm working on it...

I came across this recipe on Pinterest, where else? But, I varied it to not include extra sodium or butter. First, I preheated the oven to 450 degrees. Then, I lined a baking sheet with some aluminum foil, cut the ends off and rinsed my asparagus and placed them in a bowl. After tossing them lightly with olive oil, I laid them flat on the sheet. 

I used a little pinch of garlic salt and some fresh lemon slices and placed them in the oven until they were tender enough to easily pierce with a fork (about 15-20 mins). Wa-lahhhhh! The lemon gives it an awesome tangy flavor and it's pretty delish!


I love quick and easy! I seriously can't get enough :) 

I'm still learning and always looking for alternative recipes so I don't get bored. I have been really experimental and things don't always turn out how I expect, but that's how I learn: by messing up! 

As far as how I'm feeling, I couldn't be better. As someone who has constantly struggled with skin problems, I've seen an incredible improvement due to the amount of water I'm consuming each day and the freshness and healthfulness of the ingredients I'm using, especially with the fact that my sodium intake has been so greatly reduced.

Where I notice problems? Not being prepared. If I'm not prepared, I don't eat everything I'm supposed to and I get hungry throughout the day. PREP PREP PREP and stick to a routine! Otherwise, you'll be tempted to cheat because it's easy.

Most importantly, I no longer "crave the crap". I don't generally crave salt and when I crave chocolate, I try to be as careful as possible. Of course, everyone has their slip ups, but it's learning to control your self-control and be honest with yourself that will help you reach your goals. Slip up? It's okay! Don't beat yourself up about it! Keep your head up, try harder and find substitutes to help you deal! Nobody is perfect. It takes strength and discipline and you're not going to have that right off the bat. Build upon your foundations to reach your goals. 

Hope you're all having a fab week!

 photo c0d53f26-ab23-4256-870b-c5f6948d3ef7_zpsed0e0763.png

Post a Comment