5.04.2014 0 Notes WTH is Oil Pulling?



This weekend, I'm checking out at Trader Joe's and the cutie ringing me up asks if I'm going to try "oil pulling". I'm sure by the look on my face it was obvious I didn't have a clue what he was talking about... I mean, wth is "oil pulling"?


TJ Cutie continued on with this odd story, saying something along the lines of, "take a tablespoon of oil and put it in your mouth. Then swish it around for 20 minutes." Uhmmmm... 20 Minutes?!?!
a). What if it tastes like crap?
b). Who the heck came up with something so weird?
c). Let's just say I was definitely.... intrigued? (IDK if that even describes my thought process...)

SOOOO... Lemme just say that I had to do some serious research. 

According to Food Matters, oil pulling has quite a few major oral health benefits. Strengthening teeth & gums, prevention of cavities and gingivitis, prevention for bad breath, and other benefits are mentioned. The article also talks about other benefits not related to the mouth.

Those benefits?
+ headache relief
+ hangover reduction (umm major plus)
+ reduces insomnia
+ allergy symptom reduction
+ and more!

Some people opt to use sesame oil, which provides similar benefits, but I opted to use Organic Coconut Oil because I was already purchasing it for another purchase and I thought it would taste better.

So, as intrigued as I was, obviously, I decided to give it a go. Here's how that went...

Day 1: I decided to use it before brushing my teeth and hopping in bed. Let me just say it was WEIRD. First of all, I'm a big "consistency" person. Let's face it. I put a tablespoon "glob" in my mouth and swished it around for 10 out of the 20 minutes. Pro: It doesn't taste bad + all the benefits of doing it. Cons: I gagged for about the first few minutes until the oil melted all the way and became liquid. After that, it wasn't too bad. BUT, being the inexperienced oil-puller I am, my cheeks were super sore after about 10 minutes, so I ended the sesh a smidge early, brushed and flossed my teeth, and went to sleep.

Day 2: Still trying to get over the gagging... (blehhh, mental motivation working in overdrive to help me out here...)

Day 3: Gagging subsided for the most part. I finally was smart enough to melt the oil down before using it... and I'm finally able to complete the full 20 minutes.

Day 4+: Went overly well and still going strong.



Let me just say, this was quite the experiment, but I'm majorly intrigued. Adding this little trick to my nightly beauty routine as a staple!

Have you ever tried oil pulling? Hope you're having a wonderful and relaxing Sunday!
 photo c0d53f26-ab23-4256-870b-c5f6948d3ef7_zpsed0e0763.png

Post a Comment