9.05.2016 0 Notes Manhattan, KS

Man, the Kansas heat isn’t kidding. Neither were her thunderstorms let me tell ya… and the humidity. UGH my poor hair. But all in all, it was fun to explore another new place! Manhattan, also referred to as MHK or The Little Apple is a small college town serving Kansas State University. EMAW here, no joke. From the wildcats painted on every driveway, the Go Cats murals, the wildcat house numbers; this town definitely bleeds purple. Not to mention the majority of the campus looks like a giant limestone castle which is pretty neat.








My go-to for morning caffeine is Starbucks, because I know what to get and I know it’ll be great. But after recommendations from the team here, I tried the Snickers Mocha at Radina’s. While quite sweet, it was great coffee, but definitely a treat more than a morning dose of caffeine for me personally. Speaking of sweet, Varsity Doughnuts in Aggieville cannot be missed. From the cute décor to the Party Girl donut (pink frosting with rainbow sprinkles – my vice) you can’t go wrong here. You also can’t miss their storefront with their huge marquee sign. They have a giant chalkboard wall, a huge selection of basic to gourmet doughnuts, bikes that you can rent for the day, and plenty of table space for you to sit down with your fam or friends to catch up.

While it’s been hot hot hot, I still managed to check out the Konza Prairie area, hiking up to the radio tower for some killer views. Because the Midwest is so flat, you can see for miles and miles in every direction. If you travel with pets, keep in mind that this is not a pet-friendly area but there are other pet friendly areas in Manhattan.

There are also some cute local stores to check out while you’re here, including Fortuity (where you can get that adorable Heart KC tee. I know, I know, basic B me couldn't pass one of these up) and Acme Gifts (which delivers anything!).  Acme Gifts is stuffed with gorgeous letter press cards, quirky books, peanut erasers, local-pride t-shirts, and fresh florals. You know me, I’m a sucker for fresh flora, especially when their storefront has cutie baby cacti in the front windows…. Just saying’.

All in all during my time here, there are definitely some things I didn't get to see that I wish I would have. Some things still on my to do list for Kansas:

  • Amelia Earhart's Childhood Home
  • Brown v. Board of Education
  • Topeka (for the Capital Building, the Equality House, Gage Gardens)
  • Monument Rocks
  • Dorothy's House & The Land of Oz
  • The Oz Museum & Winery
  • The Sunflower Fields in the early summer
Anything else you'd recommend?

Post a Comment